The Transportation Senior Specialist primary responsibilities are to analyze vendor shipment needs and determine carrier capacity resources to assign in a regional market or for specific Lowe’s Distribution Centers to support Lowe’s Inbound and Outbound transportation. They are entrusted to make decisions on carrier selection and mode of transportation (OTR, LTL, intermodal) to ensure optimal solutions to drive cost and service performance utilizing a suite of inventory management software packages. The Transportation Senior Specialist is the front-line owner who manages shipment optimization, carrier performance in a given market, tracking freight movements to Lowe’s DCs, and providing other daily operational execution relative to Inbound and Outbound shipments. In addition, the Transportation Specialist works closely with other Lowe’s business units including, but not limited to, Inventory Fulfillment, Inventory Planning, XDT and DC Operations to present solutions they developed and implement changes as they identify carrier and vendor related issues as well as proactively ensure all operational goals are met. They will help coordinate the flow of product to XDT operations. This includes but is not limited to, ensuring that the level of service in processing the product is maintained against Lowe's defined standards, that all shipments are processed accurately and that product is picked up and transported by the third party providers at the facilities within the defined service standards, including next day customer orders. This position will work closely with the designated third-parties WMS system. The Transportation Senior Specialist is expected to be the subject matter expert for their respective area and to represent Lowe’s Transportation in communication with Carriers, Vendors, DC Operations, XDT Operations and Supply Chain cross-functional teams. They analyze and provide transportation recommendations on service and cost opportunities that exist for vendors and the DC’s they are accountable for. This position is responsible for managing the optimization, planning, and execution of shipments for Lowe’s Truck Load program inbound to the RDCs and XDTs, outbound from TDCs and CHFs and BDCs.
Essential and Core Responsibilities:
• Leverage and optimize carrier resources to vendor requirements with accountability to on-time service, freight cost, and vendor/carrier relationships.
• Develop and exercise relationships with multiple business partners in Inventory Fulfillment, Demand Planning, Network Flow, and Freight Pay to effectively manage freight flow.
• Provides communication and direction to stakeholders regarding seasonal surge planning, carrier capacity commitments, mode selection, and transportation priorities.
• Serves as a subject matter expert on all optimization routing software functionality related to transportation and shipment planning.
• Manages TMS/JDA Application to maximize efficiency of all shipments to meet and exceed operating goals of cost, service, capacity, carrier and vendor performance.
• Initiate, develop, and implement continuous improvement activities as they identify opportunities as a way to improve operating metrics and performance, specifically related to cost, service, and compliance.
• Collaborates cross-functionally with diverse stakeholders internal and external to Lowe’s.
• Develop and present solutions to Inventory Fulfillment, Distribution Centers and carrier partners to resolve immediate and long term transportation challenges.
• Represents Transportation in communication with a wide range of business units and external partners to collaborate on the planning and execution of large scale vendor initiatives.
• Negotiates equipment needs and the submission of rates by carriers.
• Provides guidance and communication regarding committed volume expectations to each carrier.
• Communicates to affected stakeholders when missed or late shipments will impact the on-time arrival of inventory to Lowe’s DC’s or stores.
• Coordinates with Lowe’s vendors and carriers to align capacity and freight needs to meet inventory requirements.
• Effectively completes projects independently or within a team as well as other work assigned by Manager.
• Provides allocations to the third party BDC providers allowing them to accurately process customer orders to our XDT network.
• Utilizes tracking and exception reporting to ensure shipments are executed according to plan and takes action if delays are noted.
• Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required.
• Demonstrates ownership in the planning, scheduling, and tracking of all pickups and deliveries from/to Lowe’s vendors, DC’s, Specialty Centers and stores in their assigned area of responsibility.
• Reviews tendered loads for acceptance by carriers and takes necessary action if declined.
• Responds to store and DC requests and concerns.
• Regularly reviews tendered loads that exceed target cost levels and seeks options to route via lower cost carrier alternatives.
• Seeks performance feedback and pursues self-development.
• Builds effective relationships with internal and external partners.
• Adapts to changes and enthusiastically works through challenges.
• Adheres to established priorities, deadlines, and expectations.
• Communicates progress and area performance to business partners and customers.
• Continually works to identify business opportunities and collaborates with others to develop solutions.
• Is responsible for critical event ownership of their assigned locations, which often times f