Leidos currently has an opening for a Technical Writer/Editor to work with the US Army Natick Research, Development and Engineering Center in Natick, MA.
- Serves as Technical Writer/Editor responsible for writing, editing, illustrating and preparing technical publications as well as planning, organizing, researching, writing and editing highly dynamic and complex developmental program manuals.
- Provides technical expertise to writers/editors and illustrators. Writes technical manual procedures and formats manual using word processing software (to include: MS Word, XML/SGML, etc.). Edits technical documentation
- Reviews and edits technical manuals and represents the Soldier Product Support Integration Directorate (SPSID) to private industry and other government agencies.
- Recommends acceptance or rejection of technical documentation based on following criteria: MIL-STD compliance, contract requirements, technical accuracy, completeness, manner of presentation, reproducibility, and technical content of illustrations.
- Determines and plans technical publication requirements and ensures, through research, that the technical documentation will meet the intended use of equipment and systems.
- Reviews contracts to determine compliance with the SPSID literature procurement data and to determine contractor compliance with SPSID procurement directives. Investigates literature and equipment used in common with other areas and services, government agencies and commercial enterprises to determine common requirements.
- Attends conferences with various personnel from various disciplines (engineering, contracting, supply, service schools, and other government agencies) to discuss the development and preparation of technical manuals.
- Studies and analyzes engineering reports, schematics, production drawings, preproduction equipment, engineering data, and other source material on systems or equipment.
- Projects the scope of manual effort, including type of manual(s) required based on maintenance concept.
- Provides advice on mitigating schedule and program risk in relation to the development of technical data, and writes contract language to support manual effort.
- Represents the team in meetings and dealings with other subject matter experts, program officials, the public, and other customers.
- Assists the Team Leader in applying qualitative and quantitative methods to improve efficiency and effectiveness of team work processes and products. Actively participates in high level meetings and conferences as an SME representing Technical Publications. Prepares a variety of correspondence and reports.
- BA degree and 4 - 8 years of prior relevant experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of publishing concepts, practices, standards, and technologies. Skill in researching the operation of the soldier and soldier support systems, reviewing specifications and/or complex engineering drawings, and physically examining samples as required.
- Skill in program management and managing multiple priorities.
- Skill in developing contract data to meet program needs and mitigate program risk; ability to review existing contract data, interpret meaning and guide others.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing technology to develop materials for printing.
- Comprehensive knowledge of word processing software to include word, excel and Arbortext Editor (XML).
- Knowledge of grammar, writing and editing, illustrating practices, and style requirements.
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work on multiple actions at any given time
- Excellent analytical and technical skills
- Ability to work independently as well as with others in a team
- Thorough knowledge of various equipment items associated with SPSID soldier and soldier support systems.
- Knowledge of a wide range of ordnance information sources to include previously released information and skill to analyze and present the information gathered.
- Experience of manufacturing drawings and technical data packages (TDP).
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Writing and Editing
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.