Aerotek's client, Illumina, is seeking a Technical Writer for a Contract to Hire position in San Diego, CA.
The primary function of this position is to write user and service documentation for our sequencing solutions portfolio. As a Technical Writer, you are a highly productive writer and a quick learner. You have an eye for detail and consistency, and exhibit unfailing attention to quality construction.
- Work with project teams to plan, write, and edit technical documentation for a variety of scientific audiences including researchers, bioinformaticians, clinicians, physicians, and internal field staff.
- Collect data by interviewing specialists, researching written material, attending training and demonstrations, using products, and observing users.
- Review market and product concept documents as input, and interview subject matter experts, to learn about customer pain points and how Illumina solutions can help them.
- Work efficiently and accurately in modern XML-based content development systems, adhering to best practices and departmental standards for terminology, content management, and reuse.
- Take photographs to illustrate the documentation and work with an illustrator to convert them to technical drawings.
- Release finished documentation and maintain organized records of all materials, drafts, and previous versions.
- Initiate and drive projects to improve customer experience, efficiency, and sensible cost avoidance. Support similar initiatives driven by others on the team.
- Edit the work of other technical writers to ensure high-quality, on-brand content and consistency across deliverables.
- Bachelor's degree is strongly preferred.
- Five + years of experience as a technical writer in a similar or related industry - biotech, healthcare, software, hardware.
- Five + years of experience writing product user documentation.
- Sophisticated understanding of the principles and practices of tech writing, content management, and reuse is essential.
- Experience with MadCap Flare or similar, DITA/XML authoring, Web/HTML authoring, and Microsoft Office tools is preferred.
- Must thrive in a very fast-paced environment.
- Easily adapt to changing project requirements and schedules.
- All of our technical writers independently manage multiple projects from concept to publication under tight deadlines and changing conditions while also functioning as collaborative team members.
We know that a company's success starts with its employees. We also know that an individual's success starts with the right career opportunity. As a Best of Staffing® Client and Talent leader, Aerotek's people-focused approach yields competitive advantage for our clients and rewarding careers for our contract employees. Since 1983, Aerotek has grown to become a leader in recruiting and staffing services. With more than 250 non-franchised offices, Aerotek's 8,000 internal employees serve more than 300,000 contract employees and 18,000 clients every year. Aerotek is an Allegis Group company, the global leader in talent solutions. Learn more at Aerotek.com.